AJH Synth System 6U
6U Full system
This is our ’starter’ system of two-rows (6U), built around a complete MiniMod voice and additional modules. This is a great, straight-forward instrument to use, learn and understand. It is however deceptively capable, and with it’s 3 VCOs, 2 sub-bass generators, mixers, 2 LFOs, 3 envelopes, and 2 VCAs, the following examples are possible:
- One huge, single Minimoog-style, 3-VCO monosynth/voice, with 2 additional sub-octaves.
- As above, but using the Gemini 2412 as a stereo filter with the 2 VCAs.
- Three different sounds using separate filters, sharing VCO & noise, using Muting Mixer to switch each sound on and off.
- A simple, single-VCO, 2 voice polyphonic patch with matching filters (Gemini 1 & 2).
- Two completely separate monosynths - a 2-VCO synth similar to a Prodigy or Odyssey, AND a single-VCO synth with 2 sub-basses, similar to an early Roland SH101 or Micromoog, but with 2 sub-octaves and multiple mixable waveforms.
The Precision Voltages additionally adds (among other things) the ability to immediately and accurately shift the pitch of the VCOs in relation to an incoming CV signal from a keyboard or sequencer. Having all of this power and flexibility, in a single box with a single plug, is an excellent entry into the MiniMod world of unrivalled, rich analogue sounds.
Here's a breakdown of the modules, case and power supply used in this system:
- Glide Noise Glide / Noise Module - Glide up and down, CV buffereing and splitting, White, Pink and Red Noise Source
- 3 x MiniMod VCO - The best sounding Analogue VCO based on the early RA Moog circuitry.
- MiniMod Transistor Ladder Filter - An absolute legend, based on the early MiniMoog filter.
- Dual Contour Generator - two independant envelopes using Model D transistor circuitry
- Discrete Cascaded VCA - two stage VCA using early MiniMoog circuitry
- Precision Voltages Module - Transpose and mix pitch CV's wth sufficient accuracy to keep everything perfectly in tune
- Dual LFO with VCA - Provides two multi waveform LFO's along with a DC coupled VCA for extra level control
- Ring SM - Our award winning Ring Modulator, Dual Sub Bass generator and five channel CP3 based discrete transistor mixer
- Gemini 2412 - Hugely versatile Dual Multimode VCF based on the vintage Oberheim SEM circuitry
- Gain Switch Multi - Control Overdrive of the MiniMod VCF and VCO, and passive multi
- DH-ADSR Envelope - Envelope with Delay, Hold and invert features, this also allows the system to be configured as two voices
- Muting Mixer and VCA - Both a mixer and a Linear / Exponential VCA
- Case - Doepfer A100 LC6V Vintage Black case, 6U with two rows of 84HP for a total of 168HP of rack space.
- Power supply - Doepfer PSU3 extra low noise power supply and distribution rails, suitable for 230V or 115V operation
Dimensions: 44.5 cm x 27.5 cm x 16 cm
6U with 2 rows of 84HP, total of 168HP rack space.
Weight: 6.5 kg
Voltage: 100V to 240V, auto sensing
Notes on patch cables for 6U system:
Patch cables are a very personal choice, so we supply our systems without these, however here is a suggestion of suitable sizes to get started:
10 of 25-30cm,
5 of 50-60cm,
2 of 80-90 cm
The 2 longest cables will be useful for connecting the CV & Gate outputs of a controller or sequencer to the CV IN of the Glide + Noise and the GATE inputs of either contour/envelope generator module. The medium-length cables will comfortably reach from one side of the case to the other, whilst the short cables will be most useful for connecting VCOs & noise to the Ring SM or filters, and the envelope generators to VCAs or filter frequency inputs - since these are mostly in close proximity to each other, it will reduce cable overhang, and so make accessing the pots easier