Arturia - Microfreak Vocoder Edition
MicroFreak Firmware V4.0
Decimated waveforms, scanned sonic surfaces, and evolving 3D soundscapes - yours for free. Firmware V4.0 takes MicroFreak on a sonic expedition to the edge of wavetable synthesis, with a brand new engine, user wavetable compatibility, new presets, and more.
New WaveUser Engine
Upload your own custom wavetables - or any Wav or Aiff file ! - into MicroFreak via MIDI Control Center, then tweak your sound using Table, Position, and Bit Depth controls.
Sequencer Unison & Chord Voices
Now, every note that MicroFreak plays will reflect whether it’s in Unison or Chord mode, including sequences, played notes, and notes received externally.
Faster Oscillator Encoder Settings
You can now select a faster scrolling speed for MicroFreak’s Oscillator encoders in Global Settings; holding ‘Shift’ lets you toggle the original slower setting.
64 New Presets
Dozens of deep explorations of MicroFreak’s new WaveUser engine, culminating in an inspiring array of wavetable and bitcrushed timbres.
16-band Vocoder with detachable microphone
Accurate replication of the human voice via 16 frequency bands, and an easy-to-use gooseneck microphone for comfortable, instant vocoding.
New Vocoder engine with 16 colorful presets
Combine the Vocoder mode with MicroFreak’s wild features and manipulate your sound like never before. Sequence vocal melodies, modulate voice parameters with the LFO, and much more.
Connect external sound sources
Process external instruments and sounds through the Vocoder mode for unique formant textures - simply connect to the headphone input via 3.5mm TRRS.
Limited-edition white finish with Swan graphic
A new look for your favorite Freak. The casing, control panel and center strip has been given a makeover to complement its radical new voice.
Step up to the mic
A simple, removable mic attachment that lets you sprinkle your voice into the mix.
A gooseneck design means quick position adjustment, with easy connection straight into the headphone socket. The fitting also allows you to connect headphones at the same time.
The utility menu lets you set your preferred mic gain and noise gate settings.
The human voice consists of complex, unique harmonics. A 16-band Vocoder design ensures that these harmonics are detected, filtered and replicated accurately.
Speak your mind and MicroFreak will respond in kind.
The Vocoder engine
We’ve created an entirely new mode to harness the Vocoder’s 16-band power.
The Vocoder engine features 3 waveforms - sawtooth, pulse width and noise - while the Timbre and Shape knobs adjust the 16 frequency bands to twist and transform your voice.
MicroFreak Vocoder Edition goes beyond robot vocals. 16 new presets give you instant access to android translations, crystalline harmonies and vibrant formant sequences galore.
Connect an external sound source like a drum machine or synth via the headphone socket for glitchy sound processing.
A new dress code
First impressions make a difference. MicroFreak has always been out to make a statement, and the Vocoder Edition is no exception.
The control panel has been given a makeover. The center strip boasts a bold new Swan graphic, while a sleek white finish makes this limited edition Freak stand out from the crowd - as if it didn’t already.
- MicroFreak Vocoder unit
- Electret mic with gooseneck and headphone adapter
- Power supply
Size & weight
- Instrument size : 12.2 x 9.2 x 2.2 inches (311 x 233 x 55mm)
- Instrument weight : 2.3 lbs. (1.02 Kg)
- Synthesizer with 256 preset slots and 224 factory presets
- 18 Digital oscillator with variable mode, including Mutable Instruments Plaits engines and new Vocoder mode
- Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
- ADSR envelope
- Cycling Envelope offering two modes
- LFO with Sync: Sine, Tri, Saw, Square, Random, Slew Random
- Modulation matrix with 5 sources and 7 destinations (3 custom destinations)
- Monophonic or Paraphonic modes - Up to 4 voices
- Chord mode lets you program a chord shape and play it on any note
- Scale Quantize lets you set a specific scale for the white notes to simplify the creative process
- 25-key capacitive keybed with polyphonic aftertouch
- Capacitive touch strip
- Crisp OLED display for editing and parameter values
- Powerful arpeggiator
- Up, Order, Random, Pattern modes
- Spice & Dice Gate randomizers
- 64-step sequencer
- 2 patterns per preset
- 4 automation tracks per preset
- CV / Gate / Mod outputs
- USB, Clock and MIDI in and out
- 6.35mm master and 3.5mm headphone output